Last night I had the privilege of previewing a film called The Business of Being Born. It was an amazing documentary on the state of obstetrics in this country. It was heartwarming and disheartening to relearn what I already knew about giving birth (thanks to my friend and doula Sasha). Anyways, the saddest part about the film is that the people that would benefit most from seeing this film, won't. I would just like to encourage any woman or man who is planning on having kids ever or now to watch this film. If anything it will hopefully get you to do your own thinking and researching about what should be the most incredibly fulfilling day of your life . . .the birth of your child. I hope that this film can change the way people think in a positive way . . .in a way that makes us realize that we must be our own advocates when it comes to health care, birth and beyond. It's been hard for me because I'm such a hypochondriac, knowledge is sometimes fear, but it is also empowerment! Although the medical community and insurance companies have a large hand in the state of birthing in this country I think that we as consumers are just as much to blame because we are not asking our own questions and taking charge of our own experiences.
You know, I could go on and on about this subject and I am surprised at how fired up I get even thinking about this topic. I don't know how I got so lucky to have learned most of this stuff BEFORE my first birth. I am so thankful that Sasha was there for me during my first pregnancy! She gave me the gift of knowledge and with that I was able to have two incredible, natural childbirths . . .in a hospital! So, that is that and I am now more convinced than ever that if we were blessed with another child I would go straight to the midwife and give birth at home.
1 comment:
Sounds like a good movie to watch if you are planning on having kids....looks like I missed all the planned screenings in Texas but I have added it to my saved list on Netflix.....looking forward to seeing it....
Post a Comment